The Cistermúsica – Alcobaça Music Festival has been held since 1992 and is the major cultural event in Alcobaça and one of the most relevant in the region. Since the first edition, it has been its ambition fill the lack of regular concerts with an eclectic program in the area of classical music.
Directed by composer Alexandre Delgado since 2002, Cistermúsica has nowadays the following artistic aims:
- Provide local people contact with the great classics of all times;
- Approach to the most diverse styles and genres in a captivating and educational way (to this end all concerts are preceded by an introduction of Artistic Director);
- Develop local town thematics;
- Debut in Portugal of important works of the international repertoire;
- Highlight the Portuguese music, through absolute premieres, contemporary premieres and works not heard for decades;
- Encourage the creation of commissioned works;
- Attracting children and youths in the region for the study of music, particularly string instruments.